Monday, June 2, 2008

Visual Identities Review

I thought this article was really interesting and I feel a little bit better and more knowledgably about forming some type of analysis of my findings. I was able to relate a lot of my findings to the article, for instance the mythogram. In the article it says that that a mythogram, “does not imply a linear narrative…it is composed of fragments from our cultural history which are themselves narratively derived.” The Starbucks logo definitely derives from our cultural history and people are able to “recall” that image from history. Finding a lot of history behind the logo and its inspiration, this part of the article will be helpful for me.

Also the talk on color and shape was interesting. With Starbucks changing it’s color from brown to green, there has to be some meaning behind that. I cannot recall why they changed the color but I do know they did for the company and for an appealing/ thought provoking factor which is pretty much what the article said about the Apple and IBM logos. Also the shape is important as well. Further more, I never really thought about the pattern of the logo and the whole color scheme. It is definitely something I can going to try and analyze since it was very interesting and beneficial to learn in the article.

I think I will draw a lot of ideas from “The ‘messages’ of the two logos” section since my task was to find history behind the logo and how it has evolved. Also with the message, I am going to explore how the image sends a message to the consumer. In the article they call it “signifiers” and “signified”—signifiers being the logo and signified being the consumer.

No comments: